The benefits of therapeutic recreation are endless! With help from space & time caregivers will find the needed time for themselves to manage stress, get organized and learn how even the smallest activities can make a huge impact on overall well-being!
What kind of outcomes do you expect you will see after participating in space & time consulting services?
Here are some ways your life will change. You will:
- Identify the value of respite and leisure in your life
- Make leisure choices that add the most value to your health
- Improve your strength, flexibility and balance
- Have increased knowledge of community resources
- Identify your personal strengths
- Successfully create action plans–and follow through on them!
- Reconnect with loved ones and connect with other caregivers
- Have less stress and will be equipped for coping with stress when it arises
- Discover leisure in unexpected places
- Learn organizational skills
- Learn skills for time maximization
- Feel empowered to make healthy choices
- Discover ways to prevent burnout and recharge your batteries that work for your life, interests and schedule
- See an improvement in your work/life/caregiving balance
- Improve your caregiving experience
Looking for Answers
Here are some frequenty asked questions and answers!
Top reasons why you should call space & time today!
- To start a self-care plan today so you can gain control and be a more successful caregiver!
- To learn and practice skills for space and time maximization and organization that will reduce your stress levels
- To receive compassionate and professional assistance from a nurturing and skilled recreational therapist
- To learn how to make the most of your care partner moments by boosting positive feelings and making joyful memories
- To increase your awareness of leisure and knowledge of leisure skills which you can use for years to come!
1. What is Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy?
A: The terms Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy are often used interchangeably but are the same service provider who offer many benefits for consumers. Most of us know what Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists do, but Recreational Therapists are new to some of us. There are many definitions but what we do at space & time is educate and help individuals in the community, particularly caregivers, to welcome space and time for leisure into their lives and restore the balance that is needed for optimal health.
2. What does CTRS stand for?
A: Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist. This is a national credential and has very specific guidelines and stipulations including a 4-year degree from an accredited program and passing an examination of competence in the field. Candidates must re-certify every 5 years. For more information please visit NCTRC (National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification) www.nctrc.org
3. Are space & time services right for me?
A: Services can benefit informal family caregivers as well as caring professionals. space & time can also help people who are experiencing life transitions, such as retirement, the loss of a loved one, a move or empty nest syndrome.
4. How much will this cost and how can I pay?
A: Clients pay out of pocket on a fee-for-service basis. You can pay by check, cash or using our secure site through PayPal on the Services page. Costs vary depending on your unique caregiving situation and therapeutic recreation needs. The required initial meeting is $50, the personalized plan of action is the next step and it is $100/hour. Continuing consultations to follow up on your plan of action cost $75/hour. (Insurance doesn’t cover the services)
Personalized planning takes about 2 hours. Ideally, giving yourself at least 3 hours of continuing consultations is recommended in order to ensure that you have a realistic time frame to work on your action plan. Buying a package is a great way to save money upfront.
Some services are available using Timebank Hours through our local Timebank (Learn how to become a member of the Time Trade Circle).
Enrollment in a Leisure Education program costs $100/person for the 5-week course. Workshops cost $25/person; special group rates are available, contact space & time for more information.
5. How can I get started?
Contact space & time today by phone (617) 949-9347 or email email@example.com
6. Am I an informal family caregiver?
If any of the following statements are true, then you are an informal family caregiver:
- I spend some amount of time providing care, assistance or help to a family member, friend or loved one of any age.
- I am not being paid or compensated for the care that I provide to my family member, friend or loved one.
- Sometimes I feel like I don’t have time to take care of myself and it can be a struggle to do the things I need to do for me to stay healthy.
7. What can I expect during my first meeting with space & time?
When we meet, we’ll meet for about one hour to complete your assessment, get to know one another and get an overview of your caregiving situation and what you hope to gain from our sessions. At that time we can also discuss an action plan to help you achieve your goals and a timeline for when this will happen.
“space & time helps empower caregivers to actively engage in a healthy leisure lifestyle that is nurturing and fulfilling. This process has a positive ripple effect that reaches the ones they care for and love.”
8. Where is space & time located?
We are a mobile and virtual business. The convenience of space & time is that there is no physical address or office where we have to meet. We can meet face-to-face at a time and place that is most convenient for you whether that is at your home, place of business, or public place. We’re happy to do everything by phone, email or even Skype!
9. Who is eligible for space & time services?
There are not any official eligibility requirements or criteria one has to meet for a consultation. It is helpful if one has an openness to learn, willingness to be compassionate toward oneself and a commitment to wellness. We are always happy to accept client referrals from local physicians and other community partners.
10. Are space & time services covered by insurance?
No, currently, space & time services are not covered by insurance, but the hope is that one day health insurance providers and other entities will expand coverage to therapeutic recreation services provided by a CTRS in the community.
This can be viewed as a convenience as there are no insurance hassles like waiting for approval or reimbursement. We can get started meeting all of your needs right away!
11. Do you provide respite services for caregivers?
No, at this time, space & time doesn’t provide respite care for caregivers. We recommend leisure activities that will help you reconnect with your loved ones, we can help you to find the best service to fit your needs, and we can recommend ways to maximize your respite time to your benefit. Additionally, we do provide training for professionals who provide respite services such as home care agencies and their employees, so that visits can be more meaningful and therapeutic.
12. What are your hours and how can I reach you?
Our hours for appointments are flexible (evenings and weekend appointments available). The typical business office hours are from 9 am-5 pm Monday through Friday. Your call is important, so please leave a voicemail with your name and how you can be reached and you will get a call back as soon as possible. You can also send an email if you prefer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Should my loved one (care receiver) be present at the first appointment?
It is most helpful that you are fully present for any meeting. You will get the most out of our time together when you’re as free as possible from distractions that will direct attention away from the present moment.
Depending on the type of service that you are interested in, it may be helpful to have your loved one present. For example, if you are looking to practice ways of interacting and reconnecting, it would be important to have both you and your loved one together.
14. What is leisure and leisure lifestyle?
There are many definitions of “leisure” and in fact, if you ask 100 people you will get that many different responses! Most generally, one can think of “leisure” as a state of mind and body, where one feels free from constraints and enjoys a particular moment. Leisure is an extremely important part of our health and well-being and too often leisure is overlooked or simply discarded as something one doesn’t have time for.
Empowering caregivers to enjoy every moment.